Summer School 2016 Information
Summer School registrations are currently closed.
- Courses will need to be completed by August 1st, 2016 to be included in the summer grades report to the Ministry of Education, though students have the option of continuing courses into the fall up to 1 year from their date of application.
- All registrations can be completed online by clicking the Sign Up tab on the menu above.
- As previously mentioned, after registration, you need to contact the main office. A school representative will make sure your application is complete, explain the online format, answer questions, and activate you into the course, ship out necessary textbooks, and email you a username / password.
- Once activated, a student can start the course immediately.
- Grade 8-9 – Click for Information
- Grade 10-12 (BC Residents, Canadian Citizens or Landed Immigrants – No Cost (funded by the Ministry of Education in BC).
- Free for students who are 19 and under based on Date of Birth.
- Non–Graduated Adult (19 years or older) – No Cost (Funded through the Ministry of Education in BC). There is a $50 application fee for all Non-Graduated Adults.
- Graduated Adult (19 years or older) - Not funded and will have a course fee of $650 plus the cost of resources.
- International students (residing in BC) – $800 per course plus the cost of resources (textbooks) if applicable.
- All work and unit tests are done online. The teacher will determine if any additional methods need to be taken including the need to be supervised over Skype.
- Communication with the teacher is done online through live Skype, Blackboard Collaborate, or email.
- Academic courses will require a supervised final exam. The teacher makes the final decision if a course/student requires a supervised final exam. More information will be given by individual teachers as to the time and place of these exams.
- Proctored exam dates are available in Moodle. For information on provincial exams see below
- Students working responsibly in the course can continue to work in the fall as students have up to a year from application to complete the course. Due to technology / program upgrades and teacher turn around and training that takes place the last two weeks of August, students will not be able to work online from August 17th through August 31st.
- Final Marks will be reported directly to the BC Ministry of Education
- BC Online will send out necessary resources by courier to all students. The first two weeks of text material is online so a student can begin right away.
- Canadian citizen or landed immigrants must return all textbooks at the end of their course, or they will be charged for the resources. Email / call the office for a courier code.
- International, mature, or graduated students who have paid for the textbooks do not need to return their textbooks, as they have been purchased.
Summer School Courses Offered:
- All of our courses are offered for summer term completion, with the exception of "Tell Me More" language courses.
- Due to an increased workload, AP Courses may be started but not completed in the summer term.
Provincial Exam Information:
- Various courses have a provincial exam of which are mandatory.
- As per the BC Ministry of Education policies "The Ministry will no longer provide Grade 12 exam writing sessions at post secondary institutes across the province. For those exams offered, students will write at local school or district locations."
- Please contact your district/school to determine exam availability and registration procedures in your area. BC Online School will set up an exam center in Kelowna and the Lower Mainland. Students in these areas need to let us know of their intention to write the exam, and to reserve an exam seat.
- Not all Districts/Schools will be hosting August Exams. The majority of districts will not accept out of district students. In the event that a student is not able to locate a district to write in for August, they will have to write in the next available exam session offered in their home school.
- Only mandatory provincial exams are offered during the summer term.